Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Today in History, 3/12

1664: New Jersey becomes a colony of Great Britain.
1864: W.H.R. Rivers is born. He was a psychiatrist who did early work in what came to be known as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or, as it was known at the time, Shell Shock. I'm just diggin' that 'stache. 1894: Coca-Cola is sold in bottles for the first time.
1912: The Girl Guides (later renamed the Girl Scouts) are founded.
1922: Jack Kerouac is born.1923: Wally Schirra, astronaut, is born.1925: Harry Harrison is born. He wrote the Stainless Steel Rat series, about an intergalactic thief and conman.1928: In California, the Saint Francis Dam falls, killing 400 people along with William Mulholland's career.1930: Mahatma Gandhi leads a 200-mile long march to the sea to protest the British monopoly on salt.
1931: Billie Thomas is born. He played Buckwheat.1932: Barbara Feldon is born. She played Agent 99 on Get Smart. I never really got why everyone was all ga-ga for her. She didn't do anything for me. Diana Rigg, sure, but Barbara Feldon left me cold.1933: FDR addresses the nation as president for the first time in what would become known as his "Fireside Chats."
1938: German troops occupy Austria.
1945: Sammy "The Bull" Gravano, mafioso and snitch, is born.
1946: Liza Minelli is born. I never understood the attraction for her, either. Guess I'm not Buster Bluth.1948: James Taylor is born.

1953: Carl Hiaasen is born.1962: Daryl Strawberry is born.1969: Paul McCartney marries Linda Eastman.1980: John Wayne Gacy is found guilty of the murders of 33 men and boys.1994: Former Warsaw Pact members Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Poland join NATO.

Today in History elements mostly cribbed from The History Channel, Wikipedia, The New York Times, The Jewish World Review, The Writer's Almanac and anything else I can dig up.

No comments: