1629: Charles I of England dissolves Parliament.
1769: Joseph Williamson is born. He was a rich English guy who ordered the construction of apparently pointless tunnels in and around Liverpool.
1804: In St. Louis a formal ceremony is held transferring the Louisiana Territory from France to the US.1876: Alexander Graham Bell makes the first successful telephone call saying, "Watson, come here, I want to see you."
1902: A US court of appeals rules that Thomas Edison did not invent the movie camera.
1918: Warner Brothers releases its first major film My Four Years in Germany.
1928: James Earl Ray, assassin of Martin Luther King, is born.
1940: Chuck Norris is born.
1940: Dean Torrence, of Jan & Dean, is born. I don't know why the video is so wee. I think it was converted to flash video incorrectly.1952: Fulgencio Batista leads a successful coup in Cuba.
1957: Shannon Tweed, star of dozens of bad soft-core movies, is born.
1957: Osama bin Laden is born.1958: Sharon Stone is born.
1963: Rick Rubin, record producer, is born.
1964: Neneh Cherry is born. She did the 80's hit Buffalo Stance.1966: Edie Brickell is born. She did another 80's hit, What I Am.
1969: Paget Brewster is born. She play Ms. Indestructible in the underrated The Specials and also provides the voice of Birdgirl in Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law.
1977: Astronomers discover the rings around Uranus (hyuck!).1982: All nine planets align on the same side of the Sun. Nothing happens.
1997: Buffy the Vampire Slayer debuts on the WB network.
Today in History elements mostly cribbed from The History Channel, Wikipedia, The New York Times, The Jewish World Review, The Writer's Almanac and anything else I can dig up.
No comments:
Post a Comment