For example, I've never been too familiar with David Bowie. Here is the sum total of my knowledge of David Bowie:
1) Rebel Rebel is one of my favorite songs.
2) He got in trouble back in the 70's for dressing up like a Nazi.
3) He was the bad guy in Labyrinth.
4) He created the trivia craze of the 1980's (Bowie always was a trendsetter).
5) He is the Sovereign of the Guild of Calamitous Intent on The Venture Bros.
In the Venture Bros episode "Showdown at Cremation Creek" we see Bowie with his two henchmen: one tough-looking guy with no shirt and some kind of German guy in a stylized tuxedo who can shriek like the Black Canary. I had no idea who these guys were - I just thought they were weird looking guys Jackson Publick came up with and let it go at that. But as it turns out, they were based on real Bowie henchmen!
The guy with no shirt is Iggy Pop. Here's the sum total of my knowledge of Iggy Pop:1) He sang the closing theme to the move Repo Man. I had that soundtrack on vinyl, man.
2) He played the disc jockey in the underappreciated (and sadly, not out on DVD) Hardware.
The German guy is Klaus Nomi. Here is the sum total of my knowledge on Klaus Nomi:1) Who?
My cursory Google search reveals that he was the arty German version of Tiny Tim. He sang songs like Leslie Gore's "You Don't Own Me" in a very high voice.
Something that I had taken as a throwaway gag actually turned out to be a pop culture reference that was going completely over my head!
Remind me not to get in a fight with Iggy Pop, by the way.
1 comment:
Thanks, that was a great story - very sweet. Too bad he died so young, it would have been great to see him have gotten wider exposure.
Thanks again!
Post a Comment