Saturday, February 9, 2008

Today in History, 2/9

1773: William Henry Harrison is born. He looks exasperated in every picture I've seen him in.
1825: After no presidential candidates receive a majority of electoral votes, the US House of Representatives elects John Quincy Adams president.
1861: Jefferson Davis is elected President of the Confederate States of America.1889: The US Department of Agriculture is established as a Cabinet-level agency.
1892: Peggy Wood is born. She played the Mother Abbess who was trying to solve a problem like Maria in The Sound of Music.
1901: Brian Donlevy is born. He played Professor Bernard Quartermass in the British Quartermass movies.1909: Carmen Miranda is born.1909: Dean Rusk is born. He was US Secretary of State under Kennedy and Johnson.
1928: Frank Frazetta is born. He, along with Boris Vallejo, pioneered the "hot fantasy or sci-fi woman wearing an impractical yet compelling outfit" school of art.1928: Roger Mudd is born.
1936: Clive Swift is born. He played Jobel in the 1986 Doctor Who episode "Revelation of the Daleks."
1941: Sheila Kuehl is born. She played Zelda Gilroy on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. I had a huge crush on her when I was kid, but it turns out she's a lesbian. I was better off with Lori Saunders (Bobbi Jo) from Petticoat Junction.

Since I couldn't find a good Zelda clip on YouTube, here's the opening to Petticoat Junction for good measure:

1942: Carole King is born. I always get her confused with Carly Simon.
1942: Daylight Savings Time goes into effect in the United States.
1943: Joe Pesci is born.
1944: Alice Walker is born. She wrote The Color Purple.
1945: Mia Farrow is born.
1949: Judith Light, of Who's The Boss is born.
1950: Senator Joseph McCarthy accuses the US State Department of being riddled with Communists.
1955: Jim J. Bullock is born.
1960: Joanne Woodward receives the first star of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
1960: Holly Johnson, lead singer for Frankie Goes to Hollywood is born.
1964: The Beatles make their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show.

1965: The first US combat troops are sent to Vietnam.
1965: Julie Warner is born. She was in the underrated Puppetmasters remake.
1969: First test flight of the Boeing 747. I had a boss who swore that he was instrumental in the design of the 747 and that he was "one of the most important aircraft designers in the country." I never got the nerve to ask what the heck he was doing as a lower-middle manager in an industry that has nothing whatsoever to do with aircraft design.
1969: Gabby Hayes dies.1971: Satchel Paige becomes the first Negro League player to be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.1973: Max Yasgur, owner of the farm where Woodstock was held, dies.
2001: While surfacing, the submarine USS Greenville strikes and sinks the Ehime-Maru, a Japanese fishing vessel.
Today in History elements mostly cribbed from The History Channel, Wikipedia, The New York Times, The Jewish World Review, The Writer's Almanac and anything else I can dig up

No comments: