1568: Queen Elizabeth I has Mary, Queen of Scots arrested.
1588: The Spanish Armada sets sail for England.
1749: King George II grants the Ohio Company a charter of land around the forks of the Ohio River.
1848: Mexico ratifies the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ending the Mexican-American War.1890: Ho Chi Minh is born.
1925: Malcolm X is born.
1944: Peter Mayhew is born. He played Chewbacca in Star Wars.
1945: Pete Townshend of The Who is born. You know, I don't think this song is about playing the accordion at all.1946: Andre the Giant is born.
1948: Grace Jones is born.
1951: Joey Ramone is born. Why didn't my high school's principal look like Mary Woronov?
1962: A birthday salute to President John F. Kennedy at Madison Square Garden, including Marilyn Monroe's infamous singing of Happy Birthday.
Today in History elements mostly cribbed from The History Channel, Wikipedia, The New York Times, The Jewish World Review, The Writer's Almanac and anything else I can dig up.
No comments:
Post a Comment