1607: Jamestown, Virginia is settled as an English colony.
1787: In Philadelphia, PA, delegates meet to begin writing the US Constitution.
1796: Edward Jenner begins the first smallpox vaccinations.
1804: The Lewis & Clark Expedition leaves St Louis.1913: The Rockefeller Foundation begins operations with a $100 million donation from John D. Rockefeller.
1928: Che Guevara is born.1928: Will "Dub" Jones, singer for The Coasters is born.
1936: Bobby Darin is born.
1940: Rotterdam is bombed by the Luftwaffe.
1944: George Lucas is born.
1945: Francesca Annis is born. She played the Lady Jessica Atreides in the unjustly maligned Dune and the Widow of the Web in the justly maligned Krull. And here's her exact scene in Krull! Riddle me this, Batman: Why is it I can't find a single scene from Reservoir Dogs and yet I can find every second of Krull on YouTube?
1952: David Byrne of the Talking Heads is born. This has always been one of my favorites:
1952: Robert Zemeckis is born. He directed the Back to the Future movies and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I saw Roger Rabbit in the theater when I was 14 years old and it was the nearest thing to a religious experience I've ever had.
1955: Eight Communist bloc countries, including the Soviet Union, sign a mutual defense treaty called the Warsaw Pact.
1961: Tim Roth is born. He played Mr. Orange in Reservoir Dogs. Oh, hey , here's good scene from Reservoir Dogs where Mr. Orange gets into the gang. It's rated NSFW on account of the potty mouth. It's a 10 minute long clip, but well worth it.
1962: C.C. DeVille of the glam rock band Poison is born. He's the one with the really bad hair!
1969: My future wife, Cate Blanchett is born.
1973: Skylab the United States' first space station is launched on the last Saturn V rocket.
Today in History elements mostly cribbed from The History Channel, Wikipedia, The New York Times, The Jewish World Review, The Writer's Almanac and anything else I can dig up.
No comments:
Post a Comment